Area Code 223 Overlay for Pennsylvania 717 Area Code
To ensure a continuing supply of telephone numbers, the new 223 area code will be added to the area served by 717. This is known as an area code overlay. Get ready to change the way you dial your calls!
What is an area code overlay?
An overlay adds another area code (223) to the same geographic region as an existing area code (717). An overlay does not require customers to change their existing area code.
Who will be affected?
The 717 area code covers the Harrisburg, Lancaster and York metropolitan areas in South Central Pennsylvania.
What will be the new dialing procedure?
To complete local calls within the home area code, you must dial the area code + telephone number. This means that all calls in the 717 area code that are currently dialed with seven digits will need to be dialed using area code + telephone number, for example, 717-555-1212.
When will the change begin?
Effective March 4, 2017 you can begin using 10 digits whenever you place a local call from the 717 area code. If you forget and dial just seven digits, your call will be completed until August 26, 2017.
Starting August 26, 2017 you must use 10-digit calling for your call to complete. If you don’t, your call won’t be completed and a recording will instruct you to hang up and dial again.
As of September 26, 2017 new customers in the 717 geographical area may be assigned telephone numbers with the 223 area code. What is a local call now will remain a local call regardless of the number of digits dialed and whether area code is 717 or 223.
What will you need to do?
In addition to changing your dialing procedure, reprogram your automatic dialing equipment, such as, life safety systems, telephone sets, PBXs, fax machines, alarm and security systems, gates, speed dialers, call forwarding settings, voicemail services to 10-digit dialing from 7-digit. Revise your business stationery or advertising materials to ensure the area code is included.
What will remain the same?
- Your telephone number, including the current area code.
- Your price for your calls, coverage area, and other rates and services.
- What is a local call now will remain a local call regardless of the number of digits dialed.
- You will continue to dial 1+ area code + telephone number for local and long distance calls made outside the home area codes of 272 and 570.
- Emergency service remains just three digits, 911.
- If 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 or 811 are currently available in your community, you can still use these codes with just three digits.
For questions regarding information provided, contact ASON at (877-305-2766).